Off-Peak Heating & Load Management
Families can enjoy the value and convenience of electric heat and save money, too, by installing an off-peak electric heating system in new or existing homes. An off-peak system consists of an electric heating source as its primary component. A supplemental heating source will need to operate 200-300 hours or more during the winter season.
Off-peak heating loads are generally controlled during the coldest months of the year, when the demand for electricity is high. Load control hours can also occur for a variety of reasons, including unscheduled power plant outages, transmission constraints outside of the Minnkota service area and extraordinarily high wholesale energy market prices.
The ability to interrupt the flow of electricity to the electric portion of off-peak systems allows the power supplier to operate generating plants more efficiently and avoid making costly power pool purchases. By voluntarily enrolling in the program, the savings are passed on to the customer through the low off-peak electric rate, which is approximately half of the regular retail rate. ~Minnkota PowerSavers
Incentives to install off-peak heating
- 5.4 cents off peak heating rate – If you convert, this rate applies to electric heating loads with an alternative source, that is used during peak times.
- 6.9 cents short-term control rate – Controlled 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night, only 8 hours a day.
- Off Peak Water Heater Control Program – You place the water heater on a short-term control period. For allowing control of your water heater for no more than 8 hours in a 24-hour period, you will receive $60.00 per year credit on your electric bill.
- Interest free loans – You could be eligible to receive a loan up to $6,000.00 at 0% interest payable in 72 months.
- Sales tax exemption – Sales tax on all heating kWh is removed from November through April for members with electric heat as their primary heating system.
Minnkota’s Load Management
To obtain the latest information regarding Minnkota Power’s load control plans click the links below: